Friday, Dec. 14, 2018
* The Del Norte County Dog and Livestock Shelter is urging individuals to keep the animals currently housed on holiday gift lists. The shelter is moving toward grain-free foods in order to keep the animals healthier and to reduce the time needed to clean kennels. Those wishing to make a donation should call the shelter first to learn the current shelter priorities. Information: Call 464-7235.
* The Curry County Citizens Revenue Task Force meets at 2 p.m. today in the courthouse annex on Moore Street in Gold Beach.
* The Wild Rivers Coast Foundation for Dance presents “The Nutcracker: A Modern Ballet” tonight and Saturday at 7 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. at Azalea Middle School in Brookings. The show features Brookings teens Hailey Naiman and Grace Norman, along with 12-year-old Meriwether McDonald. Tickets are available at Wright’s Custom Framing.
* The Northern California Community Bloodbank will be at Wal-Mart in Crescent City today from 1 to 6 p.m.
In sports news:
* It was a great evening for the Brookings-Harbor High basketball teams, both of which are playing Thursday in a tournament at Hidden Valley High near Grants Pass. The boys defeated the home team 70-60, and will play Lost River today. In girls action, the Bruins bested Fall River 68-54, and will meet Hidden Valley today.
* Del Norte’s girls basketball team also won its opener at the Hidden Valley event, knocking off North Marion High 47-39. The Warriors play Cascade Christian of Medford today. In boys action, Del Norte was upset in overtime 58-56 by Central Valley at the Anderson Valley Tournament near Redding. Today, Del Norte plays at 3:30 p.m. against Klamath Union High. Listen to the game live on KPOD FM 97.9.