Friday, Oct. 12, 2019
* Joseph L. James was the big winner in unofficial results from the Yurok Primary Elections, completed on Oct. 10. James picked up almost 51 percent of the vote in the chairperson race against three other opponents. In the seven-person vice-chair campaign, Susan Masten and Frankie Joe Meyers were the top vote getters, each with 250. Sherri Provolt received 45 percent of the vote in the race for board member from the Orick District. The election board will certify the results on Monday.
* A hiker was airlifted to safety Wednesday evening after he became trapped on a cliff south of Crescent City. The man, who was not identified, was on the Nickel Creek Trail south of the Enderts Beach Overlook. A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter was called in to pluck the hiker from the precarious position, and place him safely on the beach. He was uninjured.
* The Northern California Community Bloodbank will set up shop today at Wal-Mart in Crescent City from 1 to 6 p.m.
* A flu-shot clinic is scheduled for today at the Klamath Community Center from 10 to 11:30 a.m. The vaccinations are free and for ages 18 and older. Call the Del Norte health department at 464-0861 for more information.
* Award-winning bluegrass music is on tap for Saturday, as the Del Norte Association for Cultural Awareness presents guitarist, songwriter and vocalist Molly Tuttle. The show begins at 7 p.m. in the Crescent Elk Middle School auditorium on G Street in Crescent City. Tickets are available at Del Norte Office Supply and at Wright’s Custom Framing in Brookings, and at the door.
In sports news:
* The Big Four Conference football season starts tonight, as Fortuna comes to Mike Whalen Field to take on Del Norte starting at 7:30 p.m. The Warriors are 5-1 against non-conference foes, but that lone loss was a 30-point defeat in Fortuna. Listen to the Warrior Pregame Show starting at 7:05 p.m. on KPOD 97.9, or delnortesports.com.
* It’s homecoming night for the Brookings-Harbor Bruins in football action, with St. Mary’s of Medford coming to Elmer Bankus Field for a 7 p.m. league battle. Both teams are 2-0 in league, with Brookings-Harbor sporting at 5-1 overall record.
* Del Norte High’s volleyball team lost Thursday in Arcata, 3 games to 2.