Monday, Feb. 19, 2018
* Former Crescent City Police Chief Nick Pottorff, who directed the department for a decade, died Jan. 29 in Fort Dick. He was 77 years old. Pottorff also worked as a private investigator, and as chief, was a member of the Crescent City Rotary Club.
* Humboldt County law enforcement has arrested a 30-year-old man following the shooting death Saturday afternoon. Antone Aubrey was placed in custody following a disturbance behind the Hoopa Gas Station. The victim was only identified as a female who died at the scene.
* Former Del Norte High student and athlete Zach Hegelmeyer was killed last week during a surfing accident in Bali, Indonesia. He graduated in 2010. Services are pending.
In sports news:
* Five members of the Del Norte High wrestling team won individual titles Saturday at the Humboldt-Del Norte League championships. Blake Allen, Skyler Moore, Wyatt Schneck, Tas Tes Bowlby and Brenden Schrader all won championships. As a team, the Warriors finished second, a mere 3 1/2 points behind Fortuna.
* Both Brookings-Harbor High varsity basketball teams fell Friday to Marshfield in the final regular-season games of the season, The Bruin girls lost to the No. 1 Pirates 49-34, while the Brookings-Harbor boys fell 63-40. Post-season places will be announced later this week.
* Del Norte High’s varsity basketball teams have both earned spots into the North Coast Section Division 4 playoffs, but both teams will open on the road. The No. 5 seeded Warrior girls will be in San Francisco Wednesday, taking on Lick-Wilmerding High, starting at 5:30 p.m. Del Norte’s boys will be on the road in Albany, taking on St. Mary’s High starting at 7 p.m.