Friday, Oct. 20, 2017
* Pelican Bay State Prison is scheduled to be featured Sunday on the C-B-S news show “60 Minutes.” Oprah Winfrey will take a look at changes in the facility, specifically the discontinued use of solitary confinement in the Security Housing Unit. The show is set to come on at 7 p.m.
* Small businesses woodland owners impacted by the Chetco Bar Fire are invited to attend a “National Resource Assistance Fair” Tuesday at the Curry County campus of Southwestern Oregon Community College. Representatives of Business Oregon, the Small Business Development Center, and other assistance organizations will be on hand. The event will run from 3 to 8 p.m. The campus is located on Lane Ranch Parkway, off U.S. Highway 101 north of Brookings.
* “Suburban Showgirl” opens the 35th performance series Saturday at Crescent Elk Middle School in Crescent City. The one-woman musical comedy is performed by Palmer Davis, a former Radio City Rockette. Doors open at 6:45 p.m.
In sports news:
* Brookings-Harbor High will honor its seniors tonight as the Bruins take on Siuslaw in Far West League football action. Both teams are gunning for their first victory of the season. Varsity kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. Del Norte High’s Warriors have a bye this week.
* Del Norte High’s volleyball team is now just a victory away from a perfect conference season after its 3-1 victory over Arcata Thursday night in Thunen Gymnasium. The Warriors will go for an undefeated Big Five season Tuesday in McKinleyville.